Heart Disease Facts
- Heart disease is by far the number one killer of both men and women in the United States.
- Over one million people in the U.S. will have a heart attack this year.
- Half of all heart attacks are fatal.
- Every 60 seconds, an American suffers a fatal heart attack.
- Two out of every three first-time heart attack victims have no previous warning.
- Heart disease can be effectively managed through lifestyle modifications, medications or surgery.
For More Information
- American Heart Association
- NIH Heart Attack Signs
- NIH Heart Information for the Public
- NIH High Blood Cholesterol - What You Need to Know
- NIH The Healthy Heart Handbook for Women - 2007 Edition